Monday 1 September 2014

Russian Foot Battery 1812-14

It's been a long, long time since my last post. 1st we've had a great summer in Scotland and the thought of sitting in the loft painting just hasn't appealed. To be honest up until today the only online surfing I have been doing has been on my phone, a quick visit here and there posting the odd comment. I also haven't played or watched a wargame in a very long time and at the moment I have to say I haven't really missed the gaming side of things. 
  
Luckily the break over the past months has kicked off a mini painting bug and I managed to slowly figure by figure get something finished. I've had a couple of AB Russian light foot batteries sitting on the work bench for a couple of years now and have managed to take 1 to completion.
  
With the later kiwer the battery probably would be better listed from 1813-14 but they will be used (eventually) for our 1812 batteries.
  
So down to the painting: I have finally settled on colours for my Russians, I have used the Foundry triad for French Chasseur a Cheval for the coats and I'm really happy with the result (even if it's hard to see the shade in my pics). The trousers are doe with an undercoat of GW deneb stone progressively mixed with white and the guns apple green is base coated in Foundry Russian light shade then the shade and middle shade of Foundry Dragoon green. I'm really happy with the finish!
  
The flesh is done with my own selected triad from different Foundry flesh.
  
There are only 2 sets of poses in this battery at the moment however when the 2nd battery is complete I'll mix through the different sets of crews as all will be based and finished the same way.
  
The new shades of green on the lower right gun and a gun from my original AB battery painted a few years ago. I picked up most of my AB Russian figures from my buddy Stuart that had been machine gun painted by JP. I kind of got sucked into following his original paint patterns however from now on all my Russians will be done with my own shades.
  
My completed battery with the final battery with all the base coats applied.
 God only knows when I'll get it finished!
  
I'm not sure what I'll be working on next? I have an eye on some of Sho's new Russians and some of his Generals are in the post to me at the moment however I may hold off on them until he finishes the additional command figures he is working on. Sho's new General range looks to be completely compatible with AB's Russian command figures so it is truly exciting times for 18mm late war Russian fans!

A wee appeal: Does anyone have a GW foundation Deneb stone they dont use? my pot is on the turn plus is running low and is my favourite for Russian trousers. They are now very hard to come by and I would be willing to pay for the tub or possibly trade for some colours I have. I have plenty of Foundry Napoleonic paints I don't need.

27 comments:

GaryA said...

I think you've done acracking job there mate. The shades certainly suit me, men and guns too. NICE!

I shouldn't worry about the painting lull. We get so little decent weather that the slightest sign of sunshine and the last thing I think of is a paint brush!

James MacCraggs said...

Really good work Paul - Glad to see your back behind the brush... even I was beating you on output for a while there!

Millsy said...

Lovely work sir. I much prefer your new shade of green. It really makes the guns pop.

fireymonkeyboy said...

Agreed, the intensity of the new green looks great.

FMB

Paulalba said...

Thanks Gary! Yip I'm really happy with my colour choice now. Same goes for Prussians. Been a great scottish summer!!!

Paulalba said...

Hi jamster, your always beating me on painting! ;0)

Paulalba said...

Thanks Michael, my pics a pretty poor. The colours look very good and the uniform plus guns are of a much different hue. Very chuffed with the results

Paulalba said...

Thanks FMB, wish I could get the pics better.

Gonsalvo said...

They look perfect! Sometimes a hiatus is good to recharge one's wargaming enthusiasm!

Sun of York said...

I've recently received some much needed Russian artillery (Old Glory) for my forces. You excellent work has set a high standard. It will be a challenge to even get close.

Phil said...

Beautiful work, Paul!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Peter, I hope so.

Paulalba said...

Thanks SoY, the OG Russian artillery are really nice. I painted a set a couple of years ago. Loads of animation.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Phil, it's good to get something finished!

John (Von Blucher) said...

They came out great!! I've 2 early Russian Batteries unpainted besides my Prussians, so I'll nip you colors for the artillery as they really look the part.

Paulalba said...

Cheers john, glad you like them. Just finishe 2 companies of east prussian musketeers today. Back to work tomorrow so probably won't get the rest finished for a while?

Chasseur said...

Wonderful looking battery, thought they were 28's at first.

James Fisher said...

Lovely Paul. Beaut photos too!

Paulalba said...

Thanks chasseur,
I'm not sure if there is a better compliment for 18mm figures than someone saying they thought they were of a larger scale?

Paulalba said...

Cheers James,
The pics don't show much detail though only an overall idea.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely delightful chaps!
You unstoppable rise to one of the best painters in 15mm.
This is infectious.. I want to paint something now..

Sho

Paulalba said...

Cheers Sho, really kind of you. Flip side of sculpting figures I would guess tricky finding time to paint?

Craig said...

Great work Paul. Gives an urge to paint some Russians! Glad to see you back online as well.

Paulalba said...

Hi Craig,
Thanks, glad you like them. Just put varnish on 2nd bat, 1st east Prussians tonight. From a big lot of Prussians I bought a while back. Debased and touched up in the older style with black showing through but they still fight. Will post pics soon.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Great work on your Russian artillery! Happy that the painting mojo has returned. You are quite right that when the weather is good our painting schedules must accommodate nature. Good choice!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Jonathan,
The good weather is hanging in there at the moment however I have pushed on and completed a couple of prussian battalions I had half done on the workbench and a 3rd is on the way. Great!!!

DeanM said...

Sorry for missing this post earlier, Paul. But very impressive Russian batteries. Best, Dean